How To Renewing A South African Driving Licence: 2021/2022
How To Renewing A South African Driving Licence: You must renew your driving licence card four weeks before its expiry date. If you renew it after the expiry date, you will have to apply for a temporary driving licence at an additional cost while waiting for your driving licence to be issued.
Note: You will not be required to take a driving test when you renew your driving licence. You will undergo eye testing and your fingerprints will be taken. Alternatively, you can have your eyes tested by an optometrist and submit the report at the driving licence testing centre (DLTC). If your sight has worsened from the date on which your licence was issued, new conditions will be attached to your licence.
What you should do
- Go to your nearest DLTC with the following:
- Identity document (ID) and a copy of your ID, old driving licence card or valid South African passport
- Four black-and-white ID photographs (before you have photographs taken confirm with the DLTC how many photos they require)
- Proof of residential address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is not in your name, the of owner of the bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live at the address and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit.
- If you stay at an informal settlement, you must bring a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your residential address
- Prescribed application fee.
- All Gauteng residents should apply online for the renewal: https://online.natis.gov.za/#/
- Complete form DL1: Application for renewal of driving licence card.
- Complete the notification of change of address or particulars of person or organisation (NCP) form.
- You will do an eye test or you can do it at an optometrist of your choice and take your results to the DLTC.
How long does it take
Your new driving licence will be ready in four to six weeks.
How much does it cost
Contact your local licencing office to find out the cost.
Forms to complete
Application for renewal of driver’s licence (DL1). The form is available at the driving licence testing centre.