Opportunity at UNICEF – Individual National Consultancy for the Provision of Construction , Zanzibar, Tanzania (60 Days)
Contract type: Consultancy
Location: United Republic of Tanzania
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, learning.
UNICEF Tanzania through the support of Educate A Child (EAC) Qatar is implementing a 3-year (February 2021- April 2024) project for “Education for All Out-of-School Children Programme in Zanzibar”. The proposed three years project is building on UNICEF and EAC continual support and strong commitment to the Revolutionary Government of Zanzibar in improving the provision of Quality Basic Primary Education for All.
To address the challenge of the out of school children, MoEVT in collaboration with UNICEF have agreed to bring in a consultant (an Engineer) to monitor the completion of construction and/or rehabilitation of the primary school classrooms including community-initiated classrooms and WASH facilities which is part of the Education for All Out-of-School Children Programme in Zanzibar
How can you make a difference?
Under the overall guidance of the UNICEF Chief of Education and the direct supervision of UNICEF Education Specialist ZFO, he/she shall be an Engineer and assist in the provision of daily supervision of construction and renovations works at various sites in Zanzibar. The consultant shall liaise regularly with relevant UNICEF staff and government counterparts to ensure smooth support for the project/s and shall be accountable for the following tasks and responsibilities:
MAIN OBJECTIVES, DELIVERABLES AND TIME FRAME
- Assist in supervising the works in accordance with the contract documents and the procedures established by UNICEF.
- Assist in supervising the works in accordance with the technical specifications, bills of quantities and drawings.
- Assist in ensuring the correct implementation of the works according to technical specifications, drawings, workmanship, and quality of materials.
- Assist in providing an assessment of any variation for approval of the Principal Secretary MoEVT.
- Report on the quantities of works prepared by the contractor – review each payments certificate of the contractors and assist in the verification of the quantities to the UNICEF Construction Specialist.
- Submit fort-nightly progress reports for all sites, outlining the cumulative physical progress achieved, key challenges/risks and associated mitigation measures. The progress reports shall also contain photos (4-5).
- Monitor the workplans and provide recommendations to the Principal Secretary MoEVT.
- Assist in the preparation of inspection for the substantial completion and snag list.
- Maintain a filling system for all site memos and instructions, measured quantities of work and materials on site, reports and other documents and correspondence pertaining to the construction activities.
- Ensure that health & safety measures are adopted and followed to the full extent and with no deviation and if needed instruct additional safety measures.
- Collate the quality and operational documents in digital formats for the contract records and maintain an electronic library of the progress of the works.
- Ensure that the daily records are kept on the site workbook, sign on the site workbook.
- Inform the Principal Secretary MoEVT of any problem which may arise with the Contractor.
- Check completed works before they are covered by the contractor, taking photos and measuring/sketching.
- Check and verify quantities of works done and provide a report to Principal Secretary MoEVT for each payment certificate.
- Assist in the preparation of the completion event and technical site visit.
- The consultant may be assigned with other works like assessment of existing buildings/structures at the sites and the preparation of drawings & bill of quantities for rehabilitation works.
- Carry out any other tasks related to the work and the project given by the Principal Secretary MoEVT.
Deliverables, Time frame and payment
|1||Full mobilization and commencement of works in all sites.||Approval of 1st progress report which shall comprise (but not be limited to):a) Site handover minutes.
b) Program of works.
c) Materials on site.
d) Photos from the site
|Within 2 weeks after signing of contracts with works contractors.||20% of fees|
|2||Certification of interim payment request (only 1 to be allowed).||Approval of interim payment certificate by Principal Secretary. The interim payment certificates to be submitted along with (but not limited to) the following:a) Progress report at minimum of 70 per cent of work completed in all sites.
b) Cost report and cash forecast for the remaining works.
c) Minutes of site meetings held.
|Dec 2021/Jan 2022||40% of fees|
|3||Practical/Substantial Completion.||Issuance of Certificate of Practical Completion which shall comprise the following:a) Snag list and an associated report on rectification of all defective works.
b) Penultimate payment certificate for all works duly executed and certified, less 5% retention amount
|Feb 2022||35% of fees|
|4||Final Completion (after 6 months of Defects Liability Period).||Final report approved by Principal Secretary that 100 per cent of the work has been completed in all sites||June/July 2022||5% of fees|
Payments will be made upon submission and acceptance of the specified deliverables in the table above under section TASKS, DELIVERABLE AND TIME FRAME. UNICEF reserves the right to withhold all or portion of payment if performance is unsatisfactory, if work/output is incomplete, not delivered or for failure to meet deadlines.
MEDICAL EVACUATION COVERAGE.
Consultant will be required to sign the Health statement for consultants/Individual contractor prior to taking up the assignment, and to document that they have appropriate health insurance, including Medical Evacuation.
MANAGEMENT AND SUPERVISION
- The site engineer will work under the direct supervision of the Principal Secretary MoEVT, with oversight from the Education Specialist in Zanzibar and report to Education Specialist.
- Copies of all relevant construction documents will be provided to the Site Engineer by the Principal Secretary MoEVT.
- All necessary reporting formats will be provided to the Site Engineer by the Principal Secretary MoEVT.
- Guidance on how to prepare the bi-monthly reports will be given to the Site Engineer by the Principal Secretary MoEVT during the first week of boarding.
- The overall work will be explained to the Site Engineer by the Principal Secretary MoEVT during the first week of boarding.
- The Site Engineer will coordinate with the respective MoEVT Engineers during the project implementation.
- The Site Engineer will due diligently carry out the tasks listed under duties and responsibility of this Terms of Reference.
DURATION OF THE CONSULTANCY
This consultancy covers a period of 60 working days.
Interested individual will be assessed based on a technical and financial proposal. The financial proposal should be prepared in Tanzania Shillings, should include all related costs (travel including both Unguja and Pemba, etc), based on an estimate of time taken, which needs to be stated. The budget narrative must explain the assumptions behind all cost estimates. The proposals will go through a technical and financial evaluation to determine their merits for this assignment. The technical proposal will have a weight of 75%, while the financial proposal will have a weight of 25%. Technical proposals should attain a minimum of 50 points to qualify and be considered for financial review. More specifically,
- Technical Proposal: Explaining why the candidate is the most suitable for the work. A clear statement outlining his/her experience undertaking similar work, not more than 2 pages. This should include Personal CV indicating experience in similar projects.
- Financial Proposal outlining cost breakdown including reimbursables for carrying out the assignment (see scope of the work and financial proposal template attached).Financial proposal shall cover all expenditures including fees, local travel (place of residence to office and office to place of residence), cost of living and any other relevant expenses related to the performance of services. Leave benefits (annual, sick, paternity, maternity) are not applicable to Individual Contractor and absent days including weekends and office holidays are not payable. All the cost of the assignment should be included in the financial proposal as UNICEF does not pay for any travels and will not pay DSA.
- References: Contact details of 3 references.
The consultant will work directly with the Ministry of Education and Vocational Training. UNICEF will manage the contract and manage the overall quality in collaboration with the MoEVT. The level of payment will be determined by the profile of the proposed consultants and financial proposals. Payments will be made upon submission and acceptance of specified deliverables and submission of invoices. UNICEF reserves the right to withhold all or a portion of payment if performance is unsatisfactory, if work/output is incomplete, not delivered or for failure to meet deadlines.
Consultant performance will be evaluated based on the following criteria: timeliness, responsibility, initiative, communication, accuracy, and quality of products delivered.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will need to have the following…
The incumbent for the Site Engineer is expected to have the following educational qualification experiences and skills:
- B.Sc. Architectural or Civil Engineering or above.
- Minimum of five years of site supervision experience in any type of the project.
- Proven experience in designs is an asset.
- Be resident of Zanzibar
- Fluency in spoken and written English & Kiswahili
- Valid registration/membership with the relevant technical/professional association.
- Competency in computer use.
- Ability to travel to the project sites.
- Previous experience working with the UN and Government is added an advantage
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA).
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
Builds and maintains partnerships, demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness, innovates, and embraces change, drive to achieve results for impact, manages ambiguity and complexity, thinks, and acts strategically, work Collaboratively with others.
To view our competency framework, please click the link below.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
Deadline: E. Africa Standard Time