- 1 Responsibilities
- 2 Method of Application
Managing Director at Kenya Investment Authority (KenInvest) September, 2021
The Managing Director will be responsible for the day to day operations of the Authority and for the overall management and provision of strategic leadership at the Kenya Investment Authority.
He/She is responsible to the Board for driving Management to achieve the Authority’s strategic objectives and goals, creating awareness to investors (domestic and foreign) of the investment opportunities in Kenya and the country’s attractiveness, and facilitating investors to set up businesses and ensuring those already operating have an enabling investment/business climate.
Appointment to this position will be on a four (4) year contract, commencing on 11th February 2022, renewable once subject to satisfactory performance.
- Serving as the Accounting Officer in line with section 67 of the PFM Act 2012 and performing the functions of the Accounting Officer in line with the PFM Act 2012 and PFM Regulations 2015, as well as provisions of section 44 of the Public Procurement and Disposal Act 2015 and its regulations;
- Ensuring that the Authority delivers on its mandate as stipulated by the Investment Promotion Act No. 6 of 2004;
- Providing Strategic Leadership, general supervision and management of the Authority on a day-to-day basis in accordance with the plans and policies approved by the Board to ensure achievement of KenInvest strategic objectives;
- Providing organizational leadership and Vision in developing and recommending to the Board the strategy and annual business plans for KenInvest;
- Providing regular, thorough and prompt communication to the Board on key technical, financial and administrative matters;
- Serving as the link between the Board and the Management;
- Provide strong strategic leadership and vision in the management of the Authority’s Day to day affairs for the attainment of the set objectives; and
- Lead a team of a strong workforce in the Strategic and corporate planning for the organization.
Strategic, Corporate Planning and Reporting
- Managing emerging issues, risks and opportunities to ensure that the Authority continues to deliver strong results and achieves desired outcomes;
- Ensuring that the Authority has an effective management structure, building capabilities of Management and staff to ensure that the Authority is properly capacitated to deliver on its mandate and objectives and that staff are empowered and mentored;
- Advising the Board on matters of policy, planning and priorities and other issues that are fundamental to the Mission and direction of the Authority, including implementation of proposed new initiatives and potential impacts for Government, investors, partners and other stakeholders;
- Developing and implementing effective internal control systems for efficient service delivery in the Authority and safeguarding of the Authority’s assets;
- Ensuring continuous improvement in the quality of services provided by the Authority;
- Being responsible for stakeholder management and the enhancement of the corporate image of KenInvest; and
- Advising the Government and other stakeholders on how to accelerate growth of private investment in the country.
- Ensuring continuity of Board policy and acts as the focal point of contact between the Board, the management and staff of the Authority;
- Fostering a good working relationship with and under guidance/consultation with Authority’s Parent Ministry;
- Entrenching a working culture and promoting creativity and innovation in the Authority;
- Ensuring compliance with National, regional and international laws as may be applicable;
- Providing strategic leadership in developing and implementing effective human resource management, administrative policies and systems and maintaining a conducive working environment suitable for attracting, developing and retaining an efficient workforce;
- Ensuring that KenInvest has an effective management structure, building capabilities of KenInvest management and staff to ensure that the Authority is properly strengthened to deliver on its mandate and objectives;
- Establishing organization and staffing plans and appropriate delegation and decision-making frameworks to support the accomplishment of corporate goals and objectives;
- Providing direction to all staff and ensuring overall effectiveness in meeting policy and program objectives and ensuring the Authority conducts its operations and financial activities with integrity and in accordance with applicable legislative, regulatory and policy requirements;
- Leading the establishment of progressive management and human resources policies and practices to ensure a motivated workforce and a rigorous supportive employee relations climate;
- Designing, regularly reviewing and implementing the performance management system to maximize efficiency and effectiveness of the Authority’s staff;
- Establishing and maintaining a Board-approved plan for senior management development and succession; and
- Developing and overseeing the implementation of a robust Human Resource Policy in the Authority.
- Providing Strategic Leadership and ensuring that the Authority grows to become financially independent by generating its own resources;
- Ensuring preparation of the annual budgets and establishing proper internal controls;
- Spearheading the development and implementation of efficient systems that support the effective use of the Authority’s resources;
- Effectively and efficiently leading the deployment of available resources for the best value to the Authority and public interest while assuring financial capability to continuously deliver on the mandate of the Authority;
- Identifying and sourcing for favorable development partners and ensuring that the annual financial audit is conducted and recommendations addressed; and
- Mobilization and overseeing prudent utilization of resources allocated to the Authority.
- Communicating the Board’s strategies, decisions and policies to senior management and staff; and
- Being the overall spokesperson for the Authority and maintaining an exceptional image for the Authority in the country and internationally.
- Have a Master’s degree in any of the following disciplines: Business Administration, Commerce, Economics, Finance, Marketing, Strategic Management, Engineering or a relevant field from a recognized Institution;
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in any of the following disciplines: Business Administration, Commerce, Economics, Finance, Marketing, Strategic Management, Engineering or a relevant field from a recognized Institution;
- Have at least fifteen (15) years of experience; five (5) of which must be in senior management in the public service or in a large and reputable organization in the private sector; and
- Strong resource mobilization skills with local and international development partners.
- Leadership skills for strategic transformation. Must have undertaken a Leadership course lasting not less than four (4) weeks from a recognized institution;
- Possess good oral and written communication skills including report writing;
- Have a good understanding of KenInvest Mandate, its role in the realization of the National Development Agenda;
- Demonstrate a high degree of professionalism and competence in the work performance;
- Be a member of a relevant professional body;
- Be IT proficient;
- Have good interpersonal, negotiations and high leadership qualities; and
- Be compliant with Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya.
Compliance with Chapter 6 of the Kenyan Constitution
Shortlisted candidates shall be required to meet the following compliance requirements and present valid certificates during the interview:
- A Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations;
- A Clearance/Compliance Certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB);
- A Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority;
- A Clearance Certificate from Ethics & Anti-Corruption Authority (EACC); and
- A Clearance Certificate from Credit Reference Bureau (CRB).
Method of Application
Suitably qualified candidates are invited to apply and can access the detailed job description from “careers” section at www.invest.go.ke and applications to [email protected] addressed to The Chairman, Kenya Investment Authority, UAP Tower, Upper Hill Road, P. O. Box 55704 – 00200, attaching copies of Curriculum Vitae, professional and academic certificates, testimonials, clearance certificates, copies of ID/Passports names and addresses of three referees including a reliable telephone contact.
All applications should be sent online in pdf format not later that 25th October 2021 at midnight East African time.
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.