Research Scientist – CHMI Project at Ifakara Health Institute May, 2021
Position: Research Scientist (1 post)
Reports to: Project PI
Work station: Bagamoyo
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for a Research Scientist to support the CHMI project. This is work-related PhD fellowship post. The Research Scientist will be required to undertake PhD training in the project. The Scientist will also be responsible for immunological evaluation of the in-vivo transmission model in close collaboration with a team of clinicians, immunologists and molecular biologists. Apart from research, the Scientist may participate in teaching, liaising with clinical trial team and routine maintenance of the lab.
Duties and Responsibilities Official Requirements
- Registration at a local University for PhD training.
- Completion of all mandatory courses, seminars and examinations as required by registering university.
- Submission of PhD progress reports that will be used to assess your progress.
- Submission of the final PhD thesis and successfully defending the thesis at the registering university.
- Conduct immunology and molecular assays in the laboratory.
- Support the membrane feeding experiments in the entomology laboratory.
- Analyze data on immunology, molecular and mosquito infectivity endpoints.
- Give seminars about your research topic, at IHI and/or registering university
- Fulfill the registering university requirement on number of published papers detailing your research results.
General Background Activities
As a PhD Student in the project, you will be required to conduct the following tasks:
- Support the PI and project manager in the overall management of the research team by preparing study protocols, training research team and site preparation for the implementation of the project.
- Explore the literature, discuss with experts or colleagues, gather and process data as part of your PhD training.
- Participate in specialized courses or visit other research institutions locally and abroad with the objective of deepening knowledge and gaining skills for your PhD.
- Participate in organizing seminars, conferences and contribute in reviewing and editing scientific papers from other scientists.
Qualification and Experience
- Master’s degree in any biological science subject.
- At least 2 years of laboratory-based experience in immunology, host-pathogen interactions, immune regulations and infectious diseases. Considered will be a practical experience in the following; immunological assays in vivo and in vitro, such as: multi-parametric flow cytometry, cell culture, immuno-fluorescence, cell sorting, ELISA, ELISPOT, quantitative PCR and western blot, as well as other molecular biology techniques.
- Having at least two (2) publications in accredited peer-reviewed journals, and being the FIRST author in at least ONE publication.
Skills and Competencies
- Proven ability to multi-task, maintain confidentiality and remain focused in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to be meticulous with details and excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated impeccable interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team and independently.
- Demonstrated advanced computer skills with Excel and Word. Having skills on STATA or other statistical package would be an advantage.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and written.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Email: [email protected]
The deadline for receiving applications is 17:00 hours on Friday May 21st 2021. All e-mail application subject lines should include the name of the position: RESEARCH SCIENTIST – CHMI. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com