The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of South Sudan and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, South Sudan and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at Lake Victoria Basin Commission (LVBC).
ECONOMIST/PLANNING OFFICER (1 post)
Grade : P2
Reports to : Deputy Executive Secretary (Projects and Programmes)
Station : LVBC Secretariat Headquarters, Kisumu, Kenya
Main Purpose of the Position:
The LVBC Economist/Planning Officer will be one of the key members of the Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation team and will play a key role in the strategic planning and all development aspects of the Commission.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take lead in the preparation of the Commission Annual Work Planning) linking with the EAC Development Strategy and LVBC Strategic Plan.;
- Initiate and coordinate investment planning for the sustainable development of the Lake Victoria Basin;
- Promote innovations in the design of LVBC Programmes and Projects, their organization and management to improve the Commission outcomes/outputs and ensure the synergy and compatibility among the projects;
- Play key role in identification, analysis for emerging economic trends and problems and opportunities at regional level in the basin;
- Plan for the Commission high level events in harmony with the global EAC Calendar of events;
- Assist the LVBC Management in ensuring active involvement and participation of the civil society organizations and the Private Sector in the various developmental aspects of the basin;
- Collect, review and analyze data for use in investment plans, reports and policy recommendations;
- Plan for the implementation of strategies for information dissemination and feedback on the Commission’s activities to end users and /or stakeholders;
- Promote a positive corporate culture and image of the LVBC and the EAC;
- Any other duties as shall be assigned by the Executive Secretary or his Deputies.
Qualifications and Experience:
- An advanced University degree (Masters) in economics, development economics, macro/micro economics and complex development issues or related field.
- At least 8 years of progressively responsible experience in initiating; designing and planning economic development programmes in a busy government or private sector organisation; at least 3 years should have been at senior level;
- Knowledge of multilateral or bilateral development agencies, procedures and operations
Skills and competences:
- Excellent technical skills in economics; established track record of excellence in analytic work on economic and investment issues;
- Competence in the use of standard software MS office software;
- Ability to present and win support for ideas, maintain collaborative work relations with all levels of staff, senior government officials, promote and maintain a productive and cooperative team environment, proven ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams and in multi-culture environment;
- Sound knowledge of development issues in Africa, particularly the EAC Partner States will be desirable;
- Familiarity with programs and Projects design, including the M&E information on project specific development outcomes, interventions and implementation arrangements;
- Fluency in English.
Eligibility for applications:
Applicants from all EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once .
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System .
The established post offers attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates , and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 11th June 2021.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not :
- have EAC application form;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in respective Partner States) and employment records .
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com