Job Opportunities at EASTECO- July 2020
The East African Community (EAC) is the regional intergovernmental organization of the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, the Republic of Rwanda, the Republic of Burundi, and the Republic of South Sudan with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social, and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value-added production, trade, and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, and South Sudan) to apply for the following position below tenable at East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO):
DEPUTY EXECUTIVE SECRETARY (PROGRAMMES AND PROJECTS) (1 post) (REF: EAC/HR/2020-21/41)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide effective deputation for the Executive Secretary;
- Initiate and coordinate the process of harmonization of policies, laws, regulations and standards with specific relevance to the development of Science, Technology and Innovation (STI);
- Guide identification and development of new STI projects and programmes as strategic initiatives within the EASTECO mandate;
- Coordinate the development and implementation of systems for monitoring, evaluation and compliance with agreed policies and actions by the Partner States and other stakeholders;
- Analyse reports from Partner States’ institutions on their activities relating to the management of STI as specified in the Protocol establishing the Commission;
- Coordinate the involvement of the Commission in Multilateral science and technology Agreements and projects thereof in liaison with the Executive Secretary
- Promote the coordinated engagement and participation of the civil society organizations, the Private Sector and other relevant stakeholders in the development and application of science, technology and innovation in the region;
- Promote capacity building, institutional development, scientific research and innovation in the Community;
- Liaise with the National Commissions/Councils of Science and Technology (NCSTs), Ministries/institutions responsible for Science and Technology, Research and Innovation in the Partner States for coordinated implementation of projects and programmes;
- Develop strategies and plans for mobilizing national and international financial resources for the Programmes of the Commission;
- Lead the process of formulation and implementation of annual work plans and budget;
- Ensure overall consistencies, synergies and quality in Projects and Programmes implementation and high-performance level;
- Provide guidance and technical support to the Sectoral Council of Ministers and take appropriate follow-up actions as decided/directed by the Sectoral Council;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Secretary.
- A Master’s Degree in a relevant field of Science and Technology from a recognised university and relevant qualification related to projects/program development and management.
- At least 15 years of relevant experience, of which 8 years should be at Senior Level;
Skills and Competencies:
- Ability in managing Programmes and Projects;
- Knowledge in Resource Mobilisation, financing agreement negotiation and management;
- Strong administrative and organizational skills;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural/diverse environment; and
- Ability to work under pressure.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
Relevant Working Experience:
How to Apply:
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.