Technical Director Job Opportunity at APHFTA – January 2021
Technical Director Job Opportunity at APHFTA – January 2021
Position Title: Technical Director
Reports to: Chief of Party-SAFE VMMC Project
Supervisory role: 4 Deputy Directors (Deputy Director Clinical services, Demand Creation, Project Coordination and Monitoring and Evaluation
Location: Dar es Salaam
APHFTA is an umbrella organization of the private (self-sustaining) health sector in Tanzania established in 1994, as a Non-State organization. It serves as a public forum for the private health sector and provides a comprehensive array of advocacy, administrative, knowledge sharing, and networking products and services to the Private Health Care Sector (PHCS). It endeavors to link the PHCS with the community and thereby contribute towards poverty alleviation. Over the years, it has engaged the PHCS in the delivery of public health goods under the Ministry of Health Community Development Gender Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC) partnering to improve the quality of care in the health sector and to achieve the objectives of the Health Sector Strategic Plans, the National Strategy for Poverty Reduction and Economic Growth (MKUKUTA) and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
APHFTA is currently implementing a 3 years USAID SAFE VMMC project in Iringa, Njombe, Tabora, Singida, and Morogoro regions in Tanzania. The Project’s goal is to contribute to the reduction of new HIV infections in Tanzania and the Project’s Purpose is to increase circumcision coverage to 95 percent among males 15-29 years old. In this project, APHFTA works with over 200 public and private health facilities in the targeted regions to deliver quality Male Circumcision services. Specifically, APHFTA as a contractor focuses on strengthening the capacity of service delivery teams to provide comprehensive, high quality, and sustainable VMMC services aligned to National and PEPFAR guidelines and policies.
APHFTA is looking for a qualified, experienced, and interested individual to apply for the position of Technical Director for the USAID SAFE VMMC Project at its Headquarters in Dar es Salaam.
The objective of this Role
The Technical Director’s overall roles and responsibilities are to provide technical guidance in the assessment, development, implementation, and evaluation of VMMC services by strengthening the capacity of service delivery teams to provide comprehensive VMMC services aligned to National and PEPFAR guidelines and policies and promotes adherence to COP20 VMMC technical considerations.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop project strategic plans cognizant of the needs of the government, DPs and APHFTA
- Monitor progress on achieving goals of strategic plans towards APHFTA and DPs’ targets
- Provide technical guidance to all VMMC activities including the review and management of operational procedures and give input into marketing strategies to reach clients
- Ensure the quality and effectiveness of the VMMC Project
- Provide technical guidance in the assessment, development, implementation, and evaluation of VMMC services and support linkages to STI, ART, and TB care.
- Conduct regular site visits to review Project implementation and provide onsite and telephonic support as and when needed and make recommendations for corrective action as required.
- Strengthen the capacity of service delivery teams to provide comprehensive VMMC services aligned to National and PEPFAR guidelines and policies
- Ensure all project staff have a clear job description, Organizational Planning and Review Appraisals (OPRAS) are done as per APHFTA HR manual
- Supervise Project Personnel and ensure that they grow in their jobs, skills, and abilities
- Ensure all subordinate staff meet expectations and provide a high-quality standard of work
- Oversee all project M & E Activities including the development of appropriate SOP, Guidelines, Systems to ensure the quality of data
- Oversee and support the MEL team to ensure timely data verification and supporting of verification reports to USAID
- Support implementation teams in the development and monitoring of implementation plans
- Provide expert advice on Project targets and analyze Project results against targets and make recommendations for corrective action, submit monthly reports to the Chief of Party (CoP), and support the Director of Programs to compile and submit to all stakeholders
Required Qualifications and experience
- Doctor of Medicine degree required; additional degree in public health or related field is preferred
- At least five years of senior-level management experience in the design, implementation, and management of activity of similar size, complexity, and setting
- Ten years of senior-level experience in health service delivery required, with an emphasis on child health, VMMC or biomedical prevention preferred
- Proven capacity to implement activities adhering to international norms and standards
- Knowledge of USG and Government of Tanzania health initiatives and related requirements
- Exceptional skills in data analysis and the utilization of data for decision-making
- Strong English and Swahili speaking and writing language skills
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Analytical skills in planning and budget review
- Decision making
- Business mindset
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style
- Excellent report writing
- Excellence in external and internal communication
Instructions to interested applicants
Submit your updated detailed CV (Max. five pages in PDF), with a letter of commitment declaring your intent to take up the position.
List of three referees with their current contacts, the referees must be one supervisor, one supervisee, and a colleague
Deadline of Submission
The Expression of Interest must be in English and should be submitted electronically or physically to APHFTA offices and addressed to:
Chief Executive Officer,
Association of Private Health Facilities in Tanzania (APHFTA),
Lumumba Street, Kidongo Chekundu, P.O.Box 13234, Dar es Salaam-Tanzania.
The closing date is 20th January 2021 at 18hr00 EAT. Interested applicants should ensure that the Expression of Interest is delivered timely and to the correct address as indicated above. In case of late submission, the application will not be considered for evaluation.