Job Opportunity Mwanza at Americares Tanzania – Bookkeeper
Tanzania, United Republic of | req878
DEPARTMENT: International Partnerships & Programs
REPORTS TO: Finance and Operations Manager
ASSIGNMENT TYPE: Full-time
LOCATION: Mwanza, Tanzania
LENGTH: 24-months with possibility to extend based on performance and budget
Americares is a health-focused relief and development organization that saves lives and improves health for people affected by poverty or disaster. Each year, Americares reaches more than 90 countries, including the United States, with life-changing health programs, medicine and medical supplies. Americares is the world’s leading nonprofit provider of donated medicine and medical supplies. For more information, visit americares.org.
About Community Partnerships for Respectful Care (CPRC):
The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) under the New Partnerships Initiative (NPI) has awarded to the Americares Foundation Inc..
NPI is shifting the focus of USAID’s traditional partners to mentoring, capacity-building, and technical oversight, by using umbrella mechanisms and sub-awards strategically to enable new and underutilized local partners to lead development in their own communities and advance the Journey to Self-Reliance. USAID seeks to expand its network of partnerships with local organizations because they can mobilize quickly and take advantage of long-standing grassroots relationships to bring needed interventions directly to people at risk.
The Americares Community Partnerships for Respectful Care (CPRC) project is a five-year, $25 million effort under NPI to reduce mortality and morbidity among mothers and their children through improved community-based health care. Americares will work with Christian Connections for International Health (CCIH) and its local affiliates in the United Republic of Tanzania and the Republic of Liberia to leverage the expertise and reach of local and locally established organizations, by building their institutional capacity. This new partnership will work closely with Tanzanian and Liberian communities and faith-based networks to improve access to, and demand for, high-quality, community-based health care for mothers, newborns, and children; voluntary family planning; nutrition; and respectful maternity care.
Americares is looking for a Bookkeeper to support financial responsibility for the Community Partnerships for Respectful Care project. The Bookkeeper will work closely with the Finance Officer and Finance and Operations Manager to oversee project finances and train staff on compliant financial processes.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Accounts Payable and Receivable:
- Code and enter Accounts Payable invoices for processing
- Post monthly accounts payable entries and complete corresponding paperwork
- Manage Accounts Receivable, including preparations of weekly invoices, monthly statements, posting transactions and payments
Accounting and Auditing:
- Initiate wire request for field project implementation
- Balance and maintain accurate ledgers
- Assist with the development of monthly financial statements, including cash flow and balance sheets
- Prepares and submits monthly reconciliation reports, as well as grant, advance, and other financial reporting obligations
- Supports the preparation of internal and external audits
- Verify accuracy of expenses, project accounting codes, vendor invoices, and timely deposit of cash receipts
- Uses QuickBooks and SharePoint for backup documentation regularly
- Conducts daily reviews of backup documentation to ensure completeness, accuracy, and full compliance with both USAID and Americares policies and procedures
- Performs regular spot audits on project files and ensures backup documentation is uploaded to relevant system according to set deadlines
Travel Advances and Reimbursements:
- Audits travel requests and expense reports for accuracy and compliance
- Follows procedures to ensure accurate and timely payment and reconciliation of travel advances, reimbursements for staff and partner travel
- Reviews and monitors outstanding advances report by paying close attention to advances that have not been settled after 30 days of issuance
CORE AMERICARES RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Foster Americares values of responsiveness, results orientation, collaboration, efficiency and integrity;
- Coach, support and develop staff to increase individual and team effectiveness; and
- Develop and manage implementation of plans to increase team operating performance, including SOPs and other efficiency initiatives.
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or equivalent.
- 4+ years of relevant experience and progressive responsibility in finance and accounting, office administration, project operations at the mid-level of an organization
- Minimum 2 years’ experience supporting USAID-funded projects
- Experience in financial management of USAID projects, including a demonstrated understanding of applicable finance-related USG contracting regulations
- Accuracy in working with large amounts of data
- Ability to respond effectively to the time sensitive inquiries
- Experience with enterprise accounting software, and Microsoft office suite
- Demonstrated knowledge of internal controls and audit processes (e.g. procurement, local subcontracts, grants, etc.)
- An energetic and creative individual with high ethical standards and appropriate professional image
- An extremely well organized and self-directed individual with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and strong operational focus
- Excellent English-language writing skills and demonstrated experience meeting donor reporting requirements
- Proficiency in Office 365 including Word, Excel, Teams, PowerPoint and SharePoint
- Willingness and ability to travel to field sites as necessary
- Take USAID mandated courses within 30 days of employment
- Unrestricted authorization to work in Tanzania