Job Opportunity at Ifakara Health Institute, Research Scientist/Officer
Position: Research Scientist/Officer (1 post)
Reports to: Project Leader
Apply by: November 19, 2020
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for a medical specialist to work as Research Scientist or Research Officer who will deal with patients with heart and lung diseases in its Kilombero and Ulanga Antiretroviral Cohort (KIULARCO) Clinic in Ifakara. The Clinic is run in collaboration with the Swiss TPH, St Francis Referral Hospital, Ifakara. The specialist will attend to patients under the Chronic Diseases Clinic of Ifakara (CDCI) to deliver improved clinical service and research. The specialist will also provide training in cardiology, pulmology and outreach program of the clinic within the existing research platform of the KIULARCO situated at St. Francis Referral Hospital in Ifakara (SFRH).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Familiarize with the heart and lung disease to patients in the KIULARCO clinic and develop Standard Operating procedure for dealing with such
- Attend to Heart and Lung patients, both outpatient and in-patients.
- Offer specialized emergency clinical care for heart and lung patients in the CDCI and the SFRH.
- Perform abdominal sonography and
- Coordinate, within the steering committee, further research development of the possibilities of heart and lung clinic in the
- Liaise with stakeholders charged with health programs at the SFRH and district authorities.
- Perform consultation and ward rounds at the SFRH with internal medicine, setting up the ICU, and continuous training of ICU
- Contribute to planning, coordination, and performance of research activities/studies organized by IHI and other
- Perform and coordinate research activities at the
- As a specialist, work together with the Principal Investigator in reviewing the responsibilities as need may deem to
- Perform any additional task to be assigned by the Project Leader/ Principle
Qualification and Experience
- Master of Medicine in Internal Medicine, anesthesiology, intensive care, or emergency medicine.
- An MD/ Bachelor of Medicine with knowledge in anesthesiology, intensive care, or emergency medicine will be considered.
- Experience in clinical care for patients with chronic diseases (e.g. HIV, TB, heart and lung diseases).
Skills and Competencies
- Fluent in English and Swahili
- Be ready to adhere to IHI core
- Interest in clinical
- High motivation for research
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management
- Professional attitude to work and clear work
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI Salary scales for scientists.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
All e-mail application subject lines should read: Research Scientist- Heart and Lung. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
P. o. Box 78373,
Dar es Salaam
The deadline for this application is: November 19th 2020.