Nafasi ya Kazi Legal Manager – Dar es Salaam
Location Dar es Salaam, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Note: There are 3 positions available, to be based in the following of our operating units – Mozambique, Tanzania and Zimbabwe.
To provide support for Vivo Energy [ ], covering the following main areas of practice:
• Commercial contracts (including customer contracts and procurement)
• Real estate – acquiring, leasing, developing land
• Corporate (including understanding of company law and principles and track record in executing corporate actions)
• Company secretarial
• Dispute resolution
• Banking / finance
• Mergers and acquisitions
• Compliance (ABC, sanctions, data protection etc.)
• Labour law
• Competition / antitrust
The candidate should be able to adopt a pragmatic and risk-based approach and make a recommendation on the basis of the information given; and to be able to make a judgment as to when further legal research or specialist advice is required.
The candidate will be required to work efficiently with external counsel.
Legal manager reporting to Managing Director [(and part of extended country leadership team)]; with dotted line functional report to Central Legal team.
• Assess and manage all legal obligations, responsibilities and risks related to the business t ensure compliance with laws and regulations, VE General Business Principles, and to mitigate legal risks
• Supporting the key classes of business (retail, commercial, lubricants) and functions (including contracting and procurement)
• Provide legal representation, advice, counsel, and opinions in all areas including dispute resolution, debt collection, ethics and compliance, regulatory issues (including antitrust), labour and employment issues
• Offer legal guidance with regard to strategic decisions for the optimisation and growth of business including acquisitions, disposals and joint ventures.
• Conduct appropriate due diligence assessment with regard to company transactions
• Generate and draft contracts and agreements in accordance with applicable law and the Vivo Energy General Business Principles in order to protect the interests and reputation of the company
Liaise with company external lawyers and follow-up on all matters referred to external counsel
• Act as a focal point for implementing corporate governance policies and ethics and compliance matters
• Ensuring that the legal service is up to date and is able to deal with changing business environments and demands; advising on changing realities in the country, including by keeping abreast with and making a contribution in respect of new legislation.
• Building relationships and trust with key stakeholders to ensure that the business is operated lawfully and VE’s interests are protected.
• This will be a new role – the legal function will have to be built from scratch.
• Managing high profile court cases in a challenging legal and political environment.
• Operating to tight deadlines in a high growth environment.
• Building professional respect with staff, line managers and senior management using influence, judgment and interpersonal skills to achieve objectives.
Developing a sense for the basic “dos and don’ts” as well as common sense judgement.
Job Knowledge, Skills & Experience:• University degree.
• Qualified lawyer.
• 5+ years legal experience in a law firm or business
• Pragmatic approach and understanding business and commercial issues as well as legal ones
• Familiar with corporate governance and assurance structures and policies
• Have competency and direct working experience in as many as possible of the following areas: commercial contracts, dispute resolution, company secretarial, debt collection, labour law, compliance matters (including anti-bribery and corruption) and mergers & acquisitions.
• Good communication, presentation, analytical and reporting skills; ability to operate at leadership team level within the company.
• Ability to prepare clear and concise written or oral advice and to make recommendations
Good/excellent English (spoken and written).
Interested Applicants should apply by sending the English version of their CV, motivation letter to email@example.com not later than 19th May 2019. Only emails received on the stated email within the allocated timeframe will be considered.